Tropico 6 released a new free update with several bug fixes, but with it also came the ability to cross play between GOG, Steam and Origin. MacOS will follow later. I don’t use the multiplayer feature, but I’m still really happy see that it’s available now for those who do. At the same time, they also released a new DLC which for 9.49 € (9.99 € on Steam, currently 15 % off) seems to be quite expensive. It’s got 6 bullet points worth of content, but a more detailed look is necessary to see what we’re really getting here.
- Spitter social media feature: interact with superstars and faction leaders via a social app to increase your standing and unlock new traits for celebrities
- One new mission and one sandbox map
- 3 new buildings: lure celebrities to Tropico by building a Rehab Center or Beauty Farm, or assist in their decision to become permanent residents using the Super Villa
- New trait: Narcissist
- 3 new audio tracks including: ‘Comercio Feliz’, ‘La Celebridad’ and ‘Fiesta en el Club’
- 5 additional customization options for El Prez and his palace
I am most interested in the new mission and the sandbox map (are they different maps or the same one?). The Spitter social media feature sounds fun and quirky, just as you’d expect from El Presidente in Tropico. However, some player said it’s only available in the last era. It makes sense, because social media wasn’t a thing back in 1950! But still… too bad. Hopefully, the new buildings will be good for tourists in general and not just celebrities. I haven’t been able to find information about that yet, nor about the trait “narcissist” and what it does. The 3 new audio tracks can be heard when playing the game. They’re not tracks you can download. The last feature is more cosmetics, which is always good, but I actually don’t often buy cosmetics for non-MMOs – and even if it’s an MMO, I don’t buy them that often. So altogether, I wouldn’t say it’s a bad DLC. On the contrary, it sounds like a few little nice additions. However, is it worth almost 10 €? No, I don’t think so.
There will also be a new DLC for Prison Architect coming on May 14. But this one will actually be free!
New Features Breakdown:
- Prisoner Transfers: Prisoners can now transfer between sectors (or wings) of your prison. Requirements for transfer to a lower-security sector are entirely up to you.
- Special Privileges: Privileges can be assigned based on the security sector, giving your prisoners a motivation to transfer. Prisoners in high security areas are able to see the privileges given to lower security sectors.
- Room Grading: You can now grade other rooms, such as yards, classrooms, common rooms, and a new gymnasium.
- Custom Security Sectors: Create areas with custom security sectors that can include prisoners from different security levels.
- New Actions and Enhancements: You can initiate actions like shakedowns, tunnel searches, and lockdowns by security sector.
It sounds like something nice to play with! And it means that the game is a bit less rigid. Prisoners come in as max security, but with good behaviour, they can change. I quite like that! It makes the whole simulation feel more alive – and it’s free. No reason to nag about anything here at all! Paradox also made an announcement stream on Twitch showing off the new features.
“Bookahneer’s Geekwatch” is the place where I take a look at all those little pieces of gaming news that have attracted my interest and/or talk about what’s recently been in the spotlight of other gaming blogs.