…and they didn’t just stop after changing the upcoming game’s name. According to their news post, they are really remaking the game to be a successor to the previous Torchlight games.
For me, the biggest changes are:
- Premium instead of free to play (the in-game shop was removed!)
- No more horizontal progression (I am usually a fan of that, but not in an action RPG. I want to find better items and get stronger! That’s the whole point!)
- The grind is gone (no idea what kind of grind they mean, but probably not the good kind that you find in action RPGs where you want to repeatedly play through a zone)
- Playing offline or online (I couldn’t find it in the news post linked to on top, but in the Steam news they posted. You choose which when you create your character)
- The 4th class, the Sharpshooter (okay, not a change, but I love how the class sounds, so I’m really excited!)
Apparently, they decided to make this change based on feedback they have gotten from us alpha testers. I’m wondering how many people voiced their concerns about the game as it was… Although I do know that a lot of people were skeptical about the free to play model and asked for a buy to play one instead.
I’ve been looking forward to the release of the game – but now I am excited! I loved Torchlight I, I loved Torchlight II even more, so if I love Torchlight III just half as much, I’ll be happy (well, depending on the price of the “premium” game).